Monday, January 24, 2011

A Girl's Treat :)

Magazines (sigh).
I love my magazines. I cannot begin to tell you the excitement I feel when a new magazine is in my mailbox. There is no feeling like flipping those pages, wanting so badly to see new styles, receive the latest gossip, news on the new beauty products. It is a great experience to me.
Anyway enough of me. Girls I know we can agree when I say magazines are 'it'. In the photo above are four of my favorites. In Lucky, I get the latest trends, In Essence I connect with my sisters, in seventeen I get the down low on all the teenage pop star's love life, their style and more and in Glamour I feast on my favorite stylista's unique style, gossip and advice on Love.

If you can relate then you know how I feel.
I recently attended an event hosted by New York Women in Communications called 'Breaking into the Magazine Business' held at the Hearst corporation. The event was great. The panel consisted of big names in the magazine business such as Ann Shoket, Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen Magazine, Associate Publisher: Nicole Mills of Cosmopolitan Magazine, Ellen Payne : Director of Editorial Operations of Hearst Magazines and more. The panel shared with us the best, real-life advice we could use as students and young professionals for getting into the magazine business. They also shared some very important skills which we would need to sharpen in the first or second job such as handwriting thank you notes, be quick to figure out how things worked in the workplace, show interest in all areas and be willing to take on any task and many more.

As students and young professionals in Communications it wise to take advantage of opportunities such as this one. New York women in Communications offers some very unique and helpful events. You should at least attend one.

p/s : If you are looking for a magazine internship google ED2010 Internships, ED offers great internships in fashion, beauty and editorial.

Let Magazines Reign :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...